Celebrating Our Sesquicentennial
Photographs from the Penn State University Archives

12th in a series
Penn State recently announced a campaign to raise $100 million in private funds for intercollegiate athletics, including a number of new or improved facilities. The University has historically relied upon philanthropy at least in part to support construction of such athletic landmarks as Beaver Stadium, the Bryce Jordan Center, the Sarni Tennis Center, Holuba Hall, and, shown above, Rec Hall. Officially titled the Recreation Building, it was dedicated on March 23, 1929, and cost $572,000, much of which came from Penn State's Emergency Building Fund campaign of the early 1920s. The building, located adjacent to New Beaver Field and near baseball, tennis, and golf facilities, fixed that corner of campus as the center for Penn State athletics. So much steel was used in Rec Hall (and the Nittany Lion Inn, also under construction) that the Bellefonte Central Railroad laid a temporary track across the golf course and N. Atherton St. to expedite deliveries to the work site.


Visit the photo archive
for previous photos from our year-long historical series

Penn State University Archives is part of The Eberly Family Special Collections Library,
of the Penn State University Libraries.


Copyright 2004 The Pennsylvania State University
The Penn State Sesquicentennial web pages are maintained by the Office of Advancement Projects
301 Old Main - The Pennsylvania State University - University Park, PA - 16802 - 814-863-4512